Saturday 24 January 2009

Corruption

My husband and I speak on the phone every day and send countless texts to each other. We used to live together but visa complications mean that for now we are apart. I would live with him but I need my job. We’ll have our time hopefully by August.
I’m learning alot about immigration through this experience and maybe one day my career may take me in that direction.
My husband is a do-er. He gets things done. He’s great at rallying the troops and creating a team effort. I’m better at working on my own. I only trust my own efforts and don’t like to ask for help.
While he is in his country he is opening a bar to sell coffee and alcohol. The bars there are full all day of men, young and old, drinking and smoking. Unemployment is high and money is obtained from a family member working abroad. Many of their country men and women are working illegally in surrounding countries. It’s sad that they can’t find adequate employment in their own towns, and it’s sad that their movements are so restricted and they can’t travel unless a bribe is paid. Corruption and bribery are a way of life.
When my husband gets his visa we want to take a holiday. Spend time together in the sunshine somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment