Monday 26 January 2009

Advertising

Once upon a time I was an Advertising Exec. Not a glamorous one in Product Advertising tempting the public with luxury brands and unhealthy food but filling the back pages of newspapers and magazines with Recruitment Advertising.
The hours were long, the clients were demanding, but my colleagues were energetic, fun, clever and liked a drink at the end of the day.
My twenties passed by in a blur of deadlines, briefs, meetings, pitches, presentations, negotiating, gallons of coffee, litres of vodka and wine, countless cigarettes and a fair amount of stress.
I was frightened of progression and although was hard working and capable, didn’t want promotion and was happy with my salary so stayed at the same level for many years. It became embarrassing when younger colleagues got promoted vastly above me and when every member of my team overtook me so I took the decision to leave and handed in my notice.
Another catalyst was when our medium size agency was acquired by a large international agency and their targets and demands became every more unbearable. After a year of feeling more like a number than a loyal member of the team I decided to walk away.
The pay cut I took to find another job in a different industry has been painful, but the manageable hours and the chance to have a proper relationship has made it worthwhile.
I don’t regret what those years under pressure taught me but I’m glad I’m out of it. I’m living happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment